History of Saint Catherine of Siena School

For nearly nine decades, Saint Catherine of Siena School has served the children and families of Norwood and surrounding towns by providing them with a superior academic education infused with the light of faith.   Father James Doherty opened the school in September of 1926 and guided it until his death 12 years later. Staffed by the Congregation of the Sisters of Saint Joseph, Saint Catherine of Siena School graduated 45 young men and women in June of 1935.

Through the Great Depression, World War II, the Korean and Vietnam Wars, economic downturns and changes in society, young people have been educated in the Faith at 249 Nahatan Street.   The sacrifice of many and their unwavering belief in God, the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the value of a Catholic education have yielded a harvest!  Thousands of men and women have graduated from Saint Catherine of Siena School, entered various professions, marriage or the priesthood.  They have seen Christ in others and have been Christ for others.

During challenging times for Catholic education, Saint Catherine of Siena School continues to grow and flourish.  In the fall of 2014, we welcomed our first class of three year-olds to a new full day, five day a week Preschool program.  We were the first middle school in the Archdiocese of Boston to offer students in Grades 6-8 individual iPads for enhanced learning.  Now, students in all grades use iPad technology as part of the curriculum.  Our graduates are the recipients of scholarships and acceptances to private and Catholic high schools.  Those who choose public high schools are equally successful.  We stand on the shoulders of those who came before us.  We ask God’s blessing on those who envisioned and cultivated the dream, Father James Doherty, the Sisters of Saint Joseph and the many lay people, administration faculty and staff.  We pray that future generations learn to live our motto: “See Christ in Others.  Be Christ for Others.”